Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (All Pages Header)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Glass Buttes DAY ONE  (Read 1314 times)
DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

Glass Buttes: Official vacation day ONE

The roads are ok for a car but ONLY if you do not love my car like I love mine. Tried to get to the purple sheen/rainbow obsidian pit but bottomed out pretty bad even being careful and for a terrified moment I thought I had cracked my oil pan (insert Ned Flanders Scream Here).....the leak turned out to be water dripping from my a/c.....(insert Homer slapping forehead here....DOH!!!!)...Went back to scouting only to realize I did not have the SLIGHTEST BLEEPING IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING.....In California I get most of my obsidian from road cuts where getting chest sized rocks are just a rock pick away.....no digging necessary........At Glass Buttes it is just a bit different......Scouted a few pits before I settled for an area with a high concentration of digs and went to work near an area known for rainbow obsidian and the rare aurora borealis material and I started to dig.......I took 2 hours to get 2 buckets full of cobbles the size of grapefruit and smaller and I had to WORK for them......But it is BEAUTIFUL material.......My hopes of getting a specimen of each type of obsidian to be had have gone right out the window though......TOO MUCH DAMN WORK....Esp for one person alone........Will hit the same pit tomorrow as it was starting to get interesting when I left......I will likely only end up with one type of obsidian but the quality is so much better than any stuff I have found at home it is worth it......
catmandewe
BlackRockDesertMeetup
VIP Elder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

Keep diggin, there are some good pieces in the ground there.
I would never take a car there, you really need something with ground clearance and good tires.

Tony

CCanfield
MemCenOR
VIP ELITE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »

Ditto what he said some of the sites you can walk to if ya wish.
DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »

I am fine but only if I stick to the main roads.....I walked several and my car could handle them....the one to the purple sheen....not so much

Going back tomorrow for more.

Derek
nate
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

I found some nice pieces in the draws just off the main road, check some of the camp sites also we found a variety left behind from peeps that had to much to haul out
DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »

I found some nice pieces in the draws just off the main road, check some of the camp sites also we found a variety left behind from peeps that had to much to haul out

I did the same thing......also picked up the bigger pieces from the spoils piles for tumbling.....Hoping the rain tonite does not kill my chances of a return visit to glass buttes tomorrow.....The pit I was in was starting to get interesting and I was given a lead to another good pit that I should be able to get to in my car.

Derek
boxofrocks
MemCenOR
VIP ELITE

My German rockhound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »

Derek -  One thing my wife and I did was just as we were leavin, I took a 5 gal. bucket and just shoveled in a full load from the spoils piles. I'm glad I did. Turns out it is makin great tumbler material. Be careful. Don't get stuck. It's finally rainin hard here in Grants Pass and it's coming your way. Sad

Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......Smiley
DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »

Derek -  One thing my wife and I did was just as we were leavin, I took a 5 gal. bucket and just shoveled in a full load from the spoils piles. I'm glad I did. Turns out it is makin great tumbler material. Be careful. Don't get stuck. It's finally rainin hard here in Grants Pass and it's coming your way. Sad

I already grabbed a backpack full of spoils from the knappers camps and from many of the pits as well.....The weather is really taking a dump on me..... Cry......Not really happy about that....Relocating to Prineville today....If I have to rock collect in the rain I will do it......I did not drive over 500 miles to sit in a hotel or go to a rock shop to BUY rock.......Will try glass Buttes on my way to Prineville....i will just have to be careful....get in and get out.....Keep digging at the Fire Obsidian Pit I located and be satisfied with that for now....
HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »

The weather is clearing up here fast.  When you get to Prineville get to the BLM office and get one of their rockhound maps - then ask them which areas are easiest to get into and out of if it rains.  They can get ya started.  They might also tell ya which areas are just dangerous to mess with rain.

DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »

The weather is clearing up here fast.  When you get to Prineville get to the BLM office and get one of their rockhound maps - then ask them which areas are easiest to get into and out of if it rains.  They can get ya started.  They might also tell ya which areas are just dangerous to mess with rain.

At the econo lodge in prineville now........will hit the BLM office tomorrow.....Right now all i am thinking of is PIZZA AND SLEEP......Wiped out after a second day of digging at glass buttes
DSRTEGL
VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »

Day two at glass buttes was a success......got bags of spoils from the road beds and the various pits and dug 2 buckets of bigger cobbles......Had to leave some boulders in the holes I dug...they were not going anywhere with me working alone.

nate
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »

stop by elkins rock shop in prineville she has maps there of the areas
jonemac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

I just registered to say the obsidian pile at Elkins rockshop in Prineville (rapidly going away) is free for the pickings. No digging! Got mahogony, rainbow, silver sheen, and purple.
nate
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »

I just registered to say the obsidian pile at Elkins rockshop in Prineville (rapidly going away) is free for the pickings. No digging! Got mahogony, rainbow, silver sheen, and purple.
stay around we're always looking for new people to mess with Grin
keystonecops
MemCenOR
VIP ELITE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »

stay around we're always looking for new people to mess with Grin
Yah, Nate can get a little cranky ifn he runs outa toothpaste Grin Later Clyde
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print

Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (Forum Section Pages Footer)

Jump to: