Author Topic: Hunting while hunting?  (Read 1999 times)

Mistersparkle

Hunting while hunting?
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »
Getting ready for opening day of dove season this weekend and was just thinking about how I find artifacts and cool rocks every time I go.  It has got to the point that I barely shoot at any birds because I am too busy looking at the streambeds and washes.  I think I enjoy dove hunting more for the time spent with buddies and the chance to happen across nice rocks or tools. 

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
I'll never forget the first time I went fishing with my late sweetie and his pals.  His friends were all upset they had to take the "little woman" along with them to wreck their guy time.

We got to the lake and I stayed long enough for Blitz to catch a fish (dog loved to catch and eat fish), then was off up the mountain to hunt for crystals and such.  I guess after a couple hours the guys started getting worried and started harping on Mark about "better go find her" "something's wrong" - -and he kept telling them to chill I was just fine and they didn't want me along anyhow so what's the problem.

About Dusk I came back down the mountain with arm loads of kindling and a few logs and started fixing the fire so they didn't have to stop at the peak fishing time.

After that, the guys were always really glad to have me go with.  I always liked to have some company for the campfire at dark, too. 

Good times.  I'm hoping to get to meet up with a few of you yet this summer/autumn again, too.  You are right -- although I don't like large groups that much,  it's always more fun when you can share it a little bit with a few friends.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Mistersparkle

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
No artifacts this year, but I found some very cool granite river cobbles that I will do something with.  Pictures later.  I am beat.

Alan Lee

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
So did you get any doves? Also curious about what you do with the granite? Around here they tell me it's leaverite unless it's got gold or other goodies in it. And of course I've brought some home.

~Al~

Mistersparkle

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
Alan, I did get a few doves and my buddies got even more.  I tend to shoot less and let more birds go than they do.  Of course, I am looking at the ground a lot more as well.  I have a thing for granite, what can I say?  Some of the coarse, heavily variagated pink and red stuff can actually make very pretty cabs.  I also cut miniature  mountains out of bigger boulders and give them to friends and family to use as paperweights or just curiosities.