Author Topic: Question for all  (Read 2043 times)

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
Question for all
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Here is one for everybody. Does anybody have an idea why some minerals and rocks are getting so high in price? Are the Chinese the driving factor? ::) I don't have a clue. I see the prices of some stuff just going out of the roof. Anyway, chime in.
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Question for all
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
The price of everything is going nuts, not just rocks. 

I would presume that some prices are going up because the material is getting harder to harvest in many locations.  Look at Biggs Jasper.  That stuff is terrible to try to find anymore with all the land closures.  When I first lived in Oregon in 95, you could just walk around and pick the stuff up at will.  So much so that I never kept any of it because I didn't realize the value.  Now you have to drive around endlessly looking for open back roads and hope a piece is laying around somewhere. 

Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

steve

• VIP
  • member Tulsa Rock and Mineral Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
I've heard that the Chinese are buying most of what the mines have and not much is trickling down to us. And the TV shows about gems and rocks are inflating prices also.
Steve

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
Which rocks Dean? I may have to raise my prices, but don't tell Tony...  :) Coldwatergold

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
Oh hush Bob, just put em in a box and send em over!

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
My understanding is that the chinks have bought about all of the Brazilian agate deposits and will determine the price from now on.

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
My understanding is that the chinks have bought about all of the Brazilian agate deposits and will determine the price from now on.
Check out ebay minerals. It's dominated by them.
Dean

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
Here is one for everybody. Does anybody have an idea why some minerals and rocks are getting so high in price? Are the Chinese the driving factor? ::) I don't have a clue. I see the prices of some stuff just going out of the roof. Anyway, chime in.
   rock and gem does not help neither does these shows :(   China has a little to play into it.   

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
Is that Clayton? Where did he come from? Where ya been all this time?
Dean

mikeyrocks

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
China is part of the driving force behind some of the increases we have seen.  True they are in Africa, and South America, and here in the USA hanging outside the mines or buying them up entirely as well.  What has changed recently is there is a new import duty/tax on rock going into China (about $1.50/lb).  This will change some of what had previously gone on with imports and exports.  There exports are down because with their better incomes the average Chinese is buying more of what is produced there.  Fewer people are working lapidary and opting for cleaner better paying jobs in electronics, etc. 
   Other factors are things like the Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Mine shutting down...it's been mined out (worlds largest producing turquoise mine is done).  The turquoise market has been drastically altered with this recent closure.  From my understanding the Brazilians have also restricted the exporting of rough agate and now it has to be cut in country to make a finished product for export; therefore providing jobs.  I also believe Indonesia has also begun some of the same as well.
    The other and one of the largest factors was the high price of oil to run the equipment and increased shipping costs were causing major difficulties to those attempting to mine material.  Prices in the mining areas have been up to $6 and $7 dollars a gallon for diesel with a large piece of equipment capable of consuming quite a bit.  Lower fuel prices might help things a bit; although I doubt if we will see cheaper rock prices.
    It all adds up in the price of materials rising.  The Chinese were and are part of it but only part....there are other factors.