Author Topic: Sal's Hampton Butte Agate  (Read 1498 times)

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
Sal's Hampton Butte Agate
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:35:08 AM »
Sal, here is a few shots of the agate I lost. Your tag said it's Hampton Butte agate. It's really nice agate. This is the first piece. The next one is smaller and really red. Looks almost like flame agate.

Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Sal's Hampton Butte Agate
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:50:32 AM »
Oh wow - thanks, Dean.  I know what agate you were talking about finding now.  There's a lot of that out there and I was really wondering what it looked like.  A lot of the browns and reds out here cut out to be just white or muddy in the middle so that's a welcome surprise.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

OregonBorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
Its funny, but a lot of the jasper and wood dig locations in Oregon have gobs of agate that people either ignore, or are completely unaware of. An example of that is the so called 'peanut butter' agate that is available at the China Hollow mine, which is known for its Biggs jaspers, and not for its agate. It is in a strip mine area within sight down creek from the main jasper site. I would call this stuff peanut butter agate with the whites and swirls and matrix mix.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
Its funny, but a lot of the jasper and wood dig locations in Oregon have gobs of agate that people either ignore, or are completely unaware of. An example of that is the so called 'peanut butter' agate that is available at the China Hollow mine, which is known for its Biggs jaspers, and not for its agate. It is in a strip mine area within sight down creek from the main jasper site. I would call this stuff peanut butter agate with the whites and swirls and matrix mix.

So I have a fatal allergy to peanut butter and have no clue and can't relate to what you might be calling peanut butter agate. Is it a color or texture or what?

All of the agate at the location I got that agate from is wood derivative.  I picked up several of these color - but left most of them.  It's all over out there.  A lot of yellow, too. Some green.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

OregonBorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
I love the green at Hampton. Sorry about your peanut allergy. The Peanut butter analogy stems from the color and look of peanut butter (the brown color) on white Wonder bread. I am not sure who coined the term, but I picked it up from Don Hildebrand, the owner of the China Hollow mine. He has many spheres that he made from that PB agate that are very impressive. I have a 30# chunk of it here in my yard. I do not know how it was derived, but it is from the same area where high silica Biggs jaspers are. I have seen similar parallels out in the Succor Creek area. Lots of more pure agate exists near higher quality picture jasper (which is really just petrified mud).

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
I collect agates from everywhere, whether they're "collectable" or not.  I like the red/brown swirly pattern in those, that's nice.  Picked up several nifty agates around Hampton Butte as well, but didn't find any with so much red in them.  :)