Author Topic: Ellensburg  (Read 1824 times)

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
Ellensburg
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Hay John,
Do you know what the status of Ellensburg Blue is? I know you worked up there a while back. I was wondering if it's worth a look see.
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

ChatlieB

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Ellensburg
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Can't answer that question, but I do have a story. Many years ago I was at a rock show in Ellensburg. I asked one of the old timers about Ellensburg Blue. He said it was all on private land and you needed permission. Also said he didn't know anyone who wanted rock hunters on their land. He also told me that the same vein of blue agate goes under the Columbia River and comes up in Oregon as Holly Blue.   Chuck.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »
Hey Dean, talk to me......Coldwatergold

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
Dean - if you are going down to Q before you're going to Ellensburg, I can give you a few tips.  The main pits that is in the actual "park" or whatever the heck it is isn't all that great, but you can get the stuff.  If you're going up there I know where a few things are you might wanna hunt for.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Orygone

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Find Em & Grind Em
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
Dean,

Not sure which John your after, but work takes me up to the Whiskey Dick/Wild Horse area quite a bit.  As mentioned before, most everything between Ellensburg and Wild Horse is private and locked up pretty tight.  East of Wild Horse you get onto Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park which has some really nice stuff  ;D but its a no-no to pick up anything that you dont buy out of the rock shop at the entrance to the park. But as Sal said, there are a couple other places in the area.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
Whiskey Dick.  I remember that name, but can't place where it is to save my life.   I know I've been through there, too.  

How's the knee coming along, Dean?  How well will you be able to climb around or hike?
Sal

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:56:19 AM »
You are the one John. I was just wondering if it would be worth the trip. We will be up in the area this summer visiting our daughter in Seattle. It's not that far out of the way. Thanks for the info. Say Hi to Patty for us.
Dean

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »
Well Sal. Quartzite is put off for this year. I have to get my wrist cut on in a few days. This getting old sucks. Also, trying something new on my knee to see if that will work. I'll PM ya later.
Dean

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:19:43 AM »
That's too bad, Dean.  I know the feeling (not the surgery, but not getting to go somewhere I wanted to).  I've had to ditch plans for Q so many years that I don't even make plans to go anymore.  If I ever get there, great, but I don't put it in my plans because it's a guarantee something will get messed up.

That knee of yours is the reason I first ever went off a road to climb a hill in one of my riggs. LOL.  You people on this website have given me a lot of really kewl memories.
Sal

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
Ya, this really sucks. We have been counting on this trip to Q all year. Oh well. We have had some great times together. We still have time for more. We just need to clear some snow now. There is always something. A get together in McDermitt sounds great. We just need someone that knows the area. I have a map with a few places to hunt for.
Dean

Orygone

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Find Em & Grind Em
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
Hey Dean,

I thought you were shooting in my general direction, but wasnt sure!  When you have some dates, let me know and Patti and I will see about making a run up to the area if your interested.

John

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:03 AM »
Not yet John. I am getting my wrist fixed for now. We will be that way shortly. I'll PM ya when we come that way. It will be around Spring, early summer.

Dean
Dean