Author Topic: I found a Glacial erratic Native American "paint pot" geode  (Read 5378 times)

earth

• View Profile
I found a Glacial erratic Native American "paint pot" geode
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
A while ago, I was walking in a local park with the intent of finding a shell or cool stone. I found my first geode instead. I had no clue what it was at the time, so I emailed a Geologist to get the best opinion I could. Here's what he said:

Kyle,

At first I thought you had what is sometimes called an Indian paintpot.  How one forms is a bit of a story.

A long time ago a stream was eroding its banks.  A blob of clay fell into the water and was rounded.  Later, when exposed to the air, the ball of clay started to dry.  A lot of water is high in iron (boy do I know that!  We have well water) so when the clay was drying the water evaporated into the air but the iron was left behind.  Many cycles of wetting and drying left a concentric rind of ironstone around the clay (which has now hardened into rock).

They are called Indian paintpots because sometimes the clay in the center was very colorful and supposedly (I can't confirm it) the Indians would crack them open and use the clay for face paint.  They are quite common east of xxxxx, in xxxx for example.

Your specimen looks a little like an Indian paintpot except I've never seen one with such nice crystals.  I suspect it came from afar (in this case, northern Canada) carried and then dropped by the glaciers.  That makes it a glacial erratic in addition to a geode/Indian paintpot.

I feel I was guided to it. Too bad somebody threw it away. Now it's in a landfill, some where. At least there are these pictures I can show my grand kids for proof. Hope you all enjoyed this little story of mine. Ever since then, I've been collecting rocks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:52:44 PM by HeySal »

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: I found a Glacial erratic Native American "paint pot" geode
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
Kyle - thanks for trying.  ;D 

I just tried to modify your post to fix the links, but they are from your phone so I can't fix that.  The pics need to be online somewhere to be able to post in the forum.  You can post them in the photo gallery then put the links in here.  There's a tutorial up in the top sections of the forum if you aren't sure of how to post them in there - you can't figure it out, let me know and I can put them in a section of it for you.  I'd like to see what you're talking about.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

earth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:53:18 AM »

Sinisterfrog

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
That's very unusual looking. A shame you no longer have it!

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
Very pretty.  Looks like common opal to me. Some of it's glassy enough that it might even have some flashes of color through it (besides in fractures, I mean).  Also looks like it's got some sort of chalky rock in it, too - that's probably clay of some sorts, but that glassy stuff looks like opal or some sort of crystaline mineral that didn't shape completely - like celestine or some such. 

I appreciate that you blanked out the location - but could you tell us at least the state this is in?  That helps IDing.  We often will talk about regions - it's just getting close and personal with directions or areas about where to go to get stuff that is frowned on.
Sal

earth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »
Thanks for your opinion. This specimen is from Chagrin River in Ohio. Whether it was opal or not, I feel lucky to have been guided to it.

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »
That is a really interesting looking little rock. 

Someone threw it away?  :(  It's nice at least you got a few good pictures of it.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »
I can't say opal for sure via the pic, of course, but I enlarged the pic and the crystal in one pic looked opal. Could have been something like celestite or quartz, too - very glassy, but in one pic there is an area right over your thumb, the bottom pic, that looks like common opal - it can get glassy like the other areas, too, though.  It's a little too glassy for me to think calcite, which would make more sense to me from that area of the world.  The matrix looks like clay - I'm a little stumped on what crystal will form in that matrix.   There's a few things that it could be.  Pictures give a lot of leeway for guessing that actually having the rock in your hand solves real fast.

EDIT:  Just looked up a little bit of info from the area - and the crystals are most likely celestite or selenite gypsum.  Both seem to form in the clays. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:35:25 AM by HeySal »
Sal

earth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
It's nice to see people actually interested in the Earth. I hope we all become good friends.

Sinisterfrog

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
You could say its my profession...

<---Geologist