Author Topic: Ammonites -- in Silver Springs?  (Read 912 times)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Ammonites -- in Silver Springs?
« on: October 07, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »
So I went out yesterday afternoon just to get out and get a little exercise and decided to follow a road I'd never checked out before that led into a small basin in some peaks.  I found, of all things, an ammonite.  I didn't have much time as it was already getting late for sunlight, and didn't see another one, but figure if there's one - there's got to be others, so will be going back some time in the next couple days to see if I can't hunt down a few more of those puppies.  Will keep ya posted on what I find when I go back.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Crazygamerm2

• View Profile
Re: Ammonites -- in Silver Springs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 07:49:55 AM »
I know there are a few places near Fallon with lots of ammonites but never heard of them near the springs. Any evidence that there are more nearby or did it see out of place?
Maybe another good spot to stop and hunt  a little this weekend depend on how our meed up goes

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Ammonites -- in Silver Springs?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
It wasn't out of place since the whole area was "shale". I use quotes because there's more than one type of rock, but there's a myriad outcrops of thinly layered rock, some shale and some not.

It was around 4:30 and I was already losing the daylight to hunt so I doubt very highly that it can be tossed onto the meet that's out of the Springs area.

I've not seen any fossils in the Fallon area outside of leaves and small plants. That doesn't mean they aren't there somewhere - just that I haven't heard of them before. If they are in the Springs, I have not a doubt that they are somewhere around Fallon, too. 

The area for small plants is about to be taken over by gov so probably won't be open long. And I tried to get into the fish fossil area earlier this summer and that's all posted off private. 
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.