Author Topic: Author needed for Arizona rockhounding book  (Read 5858 times)

editor

• View Profile
Author needed for Arizona rockhounding book
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:55:13 AM »
Hi, sorry to crash your forum, but I'm searching for an Arizona rockhound/author to update the book Rockhounding Arizona, published by Falcon Guides. This job pays several thousand dollars although you won't get rich. Please send me a personal message with your credentials if you are interested in learning more about this project. This work needs to be completed by October this year. Thank you.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rockhounding-Arizona-Guide-States-Sites/dp/0762744499/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459961512&sr=1-1&keywords=rockhounding+arizona

John

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
Re: Author needed for Arizona rockhounding book
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:26 AM »
I know just the guy for ya. I sent him a message to see if he is interested or not.

Tony

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:04:06 AM »
I will tell you one thing. This book has a lot of useless stuff in it. It is also really vague much of the time.

However, I suspect there might be a good reason. I think Gerry had a stroke and that might have had an influence.

Bearce on the other hand, he has no excuse other than refusing to hire an editor and fact checker in favor of making more money. Bearse will eventually get someone killed.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »
I was approached to do a book once - can't remember by whom - but I couldn't figure out why, if I knew enough locations to write a book, why I wouldn't just write it myself and get all the profit instead of write someone else's for a few thousand bucks.  Doesn't make sense to me.   

Mark - I've read a lot of guides that you can tell once you're out in the field that were written on hearsay rather than first hand experience.  There's also a lot of change in land status going on now so no matter what you cover - a lot of it is going to be closed off to the public very shortly after that book is published.  There's a lot of morons out there that think if they find a rock they're going to get rich and they trash everything in their path when they're out.  That land gets hunted out very fast and most of it gets closed down almost as fast as people are trashing it, so the guides go out of date real fast.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:13 AM »
That is true, but that isn't what I am talking about. Gerry is a wonderful guy. Long before I was heavy into hounding, I knew of Gerry because of the other things we both did. I think that a lot of the stuff in his book such as the go look but you can't touch anything locations are a waste of time and book space.

Bearce on the other hand has locations where he gives really bad directions to places where you end up in places where you are in real peril. Someone is going to end up dead because of his lack of proof reading. Also some of his directions take you to places where the land has been private and fenced for 50 years. The actual spots are a few miles away. He just did not check the book for errors before publishing it himself. That is the big issue with his book. He didn't want to pay to have it done right, he did it himself and Munsoned it horribly.

editor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:50:46 AM »
I appreciate the comments...as a guidebook editor I am well accustomed to the controversies surrounding this book or that book. But in any case we would like to keep the book in print with a new edition that does its best to update the land access issues. Basically this will include fact-checking the existing text, and a fair amount of that can be done by contacting the various land managers and having them review the material to make sure it is still accurate. Any sites no longer accessible need to be removed. And we are not opposed to "look but don't touch" sites being included.

We would also like to add color photos to the book to make it more visually appealing.

Anyway, the offer is out there, so if anybody is interested, let me know. Thanks.

John

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:25 AM »
I sent him a link to this thread, he will contact you if he is interested.
onyT

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »
Since my advise is free, albeit unsolicited, might I offer the following observation.

Some of the books have photos in them which seem to be taken with a shaky hand with poor lighting and with the subject too far from the camera. These photos are not helpful. Or it could be that the photos were enlarged beyond their useful capacity. While color photos are superior, they raise the cost of publishing. If it can be pulled off, that is great, but even good B/W photos are far superior to color photos which are of poor quality.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
Editor - I have a feeling I know who Tony is talking about. Not going to ask because it's not my business unless the person wants to tell me/us.  I will say, though - that any recommendation from Tony (catmandewe) should be taken as a good one. 
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.