Author Topic: Moab Utah and N Nevada road trip.  (Read 81 times)

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
Moab Utah and N Nevada road trip.
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
My wife and I are taking a trip to Moab Utah in early June and while it is not a rockhounding trip necessarily, does anyone know of anything cool in the area that they could recommend? We are mainly going to go canyoneering and I have been there several times but I am always looking to explore anything off the beaten path.
We also have a bit of time in N nevada so if anyone can recommend camping, rock collecting areas, or destinations (free ones at least) that would also be appreciated. We plan on camping at mcdermitt a couple days.
Thanks errbody.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
Re: Moab Utah and N Nevada road trip.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »
Oh the possiblities are endless.
I love McDermitt! You will have fun there.

Tony

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Moab Utah and N Nevada road trip.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
Anyway - If you get over by the Chimney Res, you might wanna camp at the hot springs - it's non-commercial -- has a big plastic tub and you can take the spout of out the tub easily, and put it back to keep the water at the desired temp. Plenty of room to camp.  As far as the rock hunting in the area - it's there but not in quantity (unless you find a spot I didn't) But if you're looking for a good camp spot on the way to or from......I'd choose that. 

There's a very scenic pass if you go N out of Paradise Valley - great view, you have a "road" that will take ya back to 97.  As far as that for hunting..........don't bother  So anyway ---- not somewhere I'd travel to hunt again but definitely would hold up for a night at those springs again if I was in the area looking for a good go to for the night.

As far as East of 95 and N of 80 if you're going to want to play out there, zap me a pm and I'll tell ya what I know about that area.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:49:30 PM by HeySal »
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.