Author Topic: Please help ID inherited rocks.  (Read 204 times)

jdb1983jdb1983

• View Profile
Please help ID inherited rocks.
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Hi everybody!

I'm not too much of a rockhound myself (though I have  done a little digging for opal and used a lapidary for a thunder egg and a cab belt buckle and bolo tie) but my dad was. Well he's passed on and now I have some chunks of rock that he used to carve up stuff. I know one of them is marble but as I said, I'm not a rockhound. I can teach the heck outta ecology but sadly cannot identify minerals to save my skin.

Being not too savvy with forums (sister told me to give this a shot) I'm not quite sure how to post a picture but I have a link: http://imgur.com/a/0rUjl

Anyways, any info I can get will be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting!

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Please help ID inherited rocks.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
Here ya go.   

It's late so I'll make comments another time, but thought I'd get the pics up for you at the least.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:35 AM »
Need better pictures with some closeups.
Right now all youre gonna get is you got a couple buckets of rocks.
Looks like maybe some jade, petrified wood, marble or alabaster, too hard to tell from that picture though.

Tony

jdb1983jdb1983

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Thanks. I knew that the bucket picture would be a longshot but it was the only one I had of those. I thought that the other picture would be enough to ID them but I'll go over there to take some closeups and post them here when I do. Thanks.