Author Topic: Best sealer to keep rocks looking wet?  (Read 318 times)

Schmidty2431

• View Profile
Best sealer to keep rocks looking wet?
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to searching for rocks. Always grabbed petoskey stones when visible but now into grabbing ouddding stones, fossils and anything else that catches my eye. What is the best sealer to keep a rock looking wet? Thanks

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Best sealer to keep rocks looking wet?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Pretty much anything you put on will eventually degrade and look like crap. It will be hard to remove too. If it can be polished, polish it. If it can't be polished, it wasn't meant to be.

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:38 AM »
I would have to agree with that.  Polishing is definitely the best way to make a rock shiny.  It won't wear out or break down or degrade over time.  If you put any sort of sealant or shellac on it, you risk ruining the rock (at least until you manage to polish the stuff off again). 

I have a slab of petrified wood that accidentally broke into multiple pieces, so I superglued it back together, and then painted it with a sealant stuff from the craft store.  It's certainly very shiny, but also looks very unnatural.  So yes, you can put something on a rock to make it always look shiny and wet, but it will also look unnatural... it's a trade-off.

Schmidty2431

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Stone polisher added to my wish list.!!

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
Don't buy anything that looks like this. It is a piece of crap at best.

47fcd5c7-d686-4fc1-877c-99cc198c8c70_1.10ac4be9ac0b774cd23dc37f0546e65c by mrk525, on Flickr

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with my Lortone tumbler.  My first one didn't work out so well though. :(
Definitely keep in mind that when tumbling rocks, all the rocks in the same batch should be equal or at least, relatively close in hardness, i.e. don't mix flourite and jade with agate and jasper.