Author Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 212 times)

Prettypixel

• View Profile
Any Ideas?
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:25:04 AM »
My fiancee and I found this rock and its quite unique. A road was punched through and this rock was unearthed ... The boulder is the only one of its kind in the area - it defiantly stands out. Im curious if maybe anyone has any ideas as to what its composed of. Rotton quartz and we found gols flakes closer to the centre. It seems to have many different pockets of formed crystals as well as pockets of other minerals and early stages of crystal formation. One thing im very curious about is this one spot which was on the outside of the boulder(unfortuNately i wasnr quick enough taking a picture before my fiancee brokw ir up). The surface had an wrinkled appearance same color as the rest of the rock and when struck seemed soft almost. The specimen remimded me of petrified wood - that maybe hadnt quite finjshed petrifying? Any Ideas? I thought that maybe thw bouldwr started off as a root ball that had wncased a quartz crystal. Its just vwry curious tonme as to where it came from as it seems to be the only one! Finding gold in it defiantly motivates me to try and figure out where it came from and if there's more! My pictures aren't rhe best ill use my digital camera instead.
l

ChatlieB

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »
First, maybe post several pictures? Second, what is "Rotton quartz and "gols flakes"?  Thanks.  Chuck.

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Rotten and gold.

I have never seen rotten quartz, but I have seen rotten rhyolite and granite. The gold is most likely mica.