Author Topic: Begin it where warm waters halt...  (Read 32 times)

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Begin it where warm waters halt...
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
"...and take the canyon down."

Has any of you guys heard of this?  Some guy wrote a poem that he claims leads to a chest full of treasure that he hid somewhere, if you follow the clues correctly.  The consensus seems to be that it's somewhere in Yellowstone, although people have also claimed the clues lead to an area in New Mexico somewhere.  Myself, I'm a bit skeptical there is any actual monetary treasure, but it's an interesting story nonetheless.  I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried to follow the clues and look for this alleged chest.

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Begin it where warm waters halt...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »
It is true. He really has hidden the treasure. It is still out there.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:07 AM »
I've heard of this one before.  I've also read that people have died in search of it. 

There's been treasure stories in a few places I've lived before..........but I have yet to find any.  Every now and again, if I'm in the region of a legend, I still look, though.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
It would be a cool excuse to go up to Yellowstone and poke around though, as I've never been there.  Some people say that the "Treasure" is just allegorical, and Fenn was only using it to encourage people to get outdoors and appreciate nature, to "Tarry Scant with Marvel Gaze" so to speak.  And there is one theory that the clues actually lead to a church somewhere in Colorado and the poem and it's clues is meant to encourage a quest for spirituality.  Whether there really is an actual box full of gold or not, I'm not sure what to believe- it's a neat idea and I still plan on going to Yellowstone some time and follow in his footsteps just to see the place.

And I'm sure there are some good rockhounding spots on the way.  You probably cant take anything out of Yellowstone itself (I assume there are probably rules against that) but northern Wyoming and southern Montana have a lot of cool stuff.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:26:29 AM »
There is a road that runs north of Yellowstone -- I think it's nicknamed the Sunshine Highway.  Anyway - it's outrageously beautiful and there's a little rock hunting to do here and there (I found rose quartz crystals there).  As far as the park itself........nope, don't get caught taking ANYTHING. 

Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.