Author Topic: Idaho Sapphires.  (Read 123 times)

JU571N

• View Profile
Idaho Sapphires.
« on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
Hi, I'm Justin, new here...   So back story; this past winter I was living in a place called New Meadows Idaho.  As the snow piled up I got bored and researched the area, turns out this little canyon maybe 1 mile from where I was staying once gave up a then world's biggest sapphire, a star sapphire at that.  There's a lot of debate on that guy, but the stone exists aND I've since found smaller ones the exact color as that one...   It was called like "The Americas life and pride star sapphire"...   Something like that, anyways even farther back the largest diamond found in the USA came from the same spot at a tad under 20ct. Soooo....  Naturally this piqued my interrest, and I did some sampling, then research, and found my super secret spot...   Anyone familiar with the area?????   Lol, I'm sure this piqued some interest in some of you.   Haha I've become borderline obsessed with this place.   Anyone at all?  Or even some tips for corundum? 

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Idaho Sapphires.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
I've lived in ID 3 times now........and hope to be able to retire there as soon as I get well, again. 

I've been to regular sapphire areas, and star garnet digs, but never heard of star sapphires there.  With the other two, I don't see why there wouldn't be star sapphire, too.  Maybe when I get back to ID someday, I'll take a trip out and see if I can find anything.   First I'd have to do some research.  Of course, you can't say too much about locations on here because of the damage the public causes when they get the free info, but what you posted was pretty intriguing.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

JU571N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »
If anyone gets curious, send me a message and I'll gladly show u some of the known spots...   My secret spot, I found with Google Earth and USGS maps.  As far as star sapphires, I'm actually finding more of those than regular ones.  In fact I've personally ONLY found a single blue one.   A bit of back story: I guess you could say I'm 4th generation in my family doing lost-wax casting, and with that we have all sorts of machines and tools to turn these stones into something magnificent.   So in my research I found articles about the heat treating of stones...   Soooo all that said, I've been toying with heat treatment in the burn-out ovens.  There's ways of increasing or removing the futile stars, and the same with colors...  I turned some grey brown ones a milky pink...  I'm only playing with the tiny ones, but I'm learning, that's what's important I guess...       wanna see something cool?   This is me a few years back playing  with lost wax...       

https://youtu.be/YVgXXl8fz-A

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
I am curious!!

Tony

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:47:08 PM »
There was a mine up there not too far from the ski resort that used to be open as a sapphire/ruby fee dig, but someone caused a problem and they shut it down to the public unbeknown to me just before I went out to visit it, so I poked around the area a little bit but didn't really have the time to explore much.   I got some garnets and a few quartz crystals and then had to get home.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
I currently live in Idaho and for YEARS I have been hearing rumors of sapphires and other such material in and around the New Meadows area. But despite poking around there several times I have never found any evidence of such things.  I have heard that there were such stones in the past from that area but it appears to now be mostly cleaned out- no trace of anything there.  If you have recent finds from that area, well, that is very intriguing to me because I have searched that area fruitlessly several times and found absolutely nothing.

I am also familiar with the Ruby Meadows area north of McCall, and have been there several times as well.  From what I can tell, this area was cleaned out decades ago- there is nothing to find up there either.