Author Topic: Digging For Rocks Help  (Read 111 times)

dereckc

• View Profile
Digging For Rocks Help
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
OK I am still a newb after 3 years and could use some advice. I returned to Colorado Springs last week during the 4th of July week and got to do some Rockhounding around Pike's Peak region called St Peters Dome. One person was there and digging around in something that had not occurred to me. My thought was you had to bust rock open to find crystals. For example Smoky Quartz.

This gentleman was digging into more or less what I would call dirt, although not really dirt. Most of you probable know what it is called as it is everywhere on slopes in the Rockies. I call it dirt because it could be shoveled and picked very easily escalated. Has a texture more like fine gravel or pebbles. Something like rotten rock and all crumbly. Anyway this gentleman pointed at an area, and asked you to try to dig in carefully and see what I could find. Sure enough I found a few Smoky Quartz Points and a really nice size piece of clear green Fluorite in the shape of a 6-point diamond about the size of a golf ball.

This left me with a couple of questions; Where Does One Dig? Nearly all the mountains in the Rockies are covered in this gravel like soil or solid rock. What is it you look for? I think the term is finding POCKETS?

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Digging For Rocks Help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
I don't do a lot of digging (because I've been lucky enough to get the goods without much of it, but when I do dig, it's where I see evidence of good stuff on the surface or indications that a rock has a vug in it.  Doesn't always work, but then, there's no guarantees you're going to find something if you're in an area that's new to you anyway.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

dereckc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
it's where I see evidence of good stuff on the surface or indications that a rock has a vug in it. 

THX but can you define VUG?

dereckc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »
Never mind I looked it up.  :)

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
As far as I know, finding pockets or vugs is purely a matter of luck and of location.  You look for a place that is either pegmatite (i.e there are large sized flakes of mica or white feldspar visible in the surrounding rocks) or that has been historically known to produce crystals (like for example Petersen Mountain, California/Nevada border, or Crystal Park, Montana.) Then you dig- and hope you hit a pocket.  And you might or might not actually find one, but even if you don't, there is still a possibility of finding a loose crystal or two.  I don't know any tried and true "secrets" of finding pockets- maybe dowsing rods?   

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
Persistence is the only way.

That and the occasional bit of luck.

Fueled by hard work and research.

dereckc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
As far as I know, finding pockets or vugs is purely a matter of luck and of location.  You look for a place that is either pegmatite (i.e there are large sized flakes of mica or white feldspar visible in the surrounding rocks) or that has been historically known to produce crystals

Thanks that was what I am driving at of what CLUES to look for. I did a lot of searching on You Tube for people finding crystals in the same area I was looking at around COS. Most of those people were not digging into hard rock. More into what I called rotten Granite or rock that has been busted up into gravel like pieces that is easy to did in. I found a spot where people dug in and followed up to see if they left any good pieces and they did.   

I am just trying to some up the clues on what to look for.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
Derek - you remember that outcrop of that gorgeous moss agate we chipped out of the wall of the outcrop in OR?  If we'd had tools, time, and strength, that would have been somewhere we could have dug and come up with a lot more of that.  It was right in our faces.   

When I found that tree underground out in the Prineville region, there wasn't anything above ground but a lot of wood chips. But there was a concentration of chips, not just the few that were scattered here and there.  It made sense to see if there were any good pieces still there because they were covered, and in the process, I hit the whole thing.  It wasn't the best wood, but it was the source of the chips anyway. 

Vugs in rocks are often disguised because they are covered with dirt and moss that settles and covers the openings so sometimes just poking something into those mossy areas on a rock can reveal that there's a hole there to check. 

Other than that...........I got nothin'.
Sal

dereckc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
Derek - you remember that outcrop of that gorgeous moss agate we chipped out of the wall of the outcrop in OR?

Are you referring to this Dereck? I am flattered and the Derek you speak of is a lucky guy, but we have never met before. If I had met you in college, you might of  been Mrs. Campbell.  :-*

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 06:21:53 AM »
Derek - you remember that outcrop of that gorgeous moss agate we chipped out of the wall of the outcrop in OR?

Are you referring to this Dereck? I am flattered and the Derek you speak of is a lucky guy, but we have never met before. If I had met you in college, you might of  been Mrs. Campbell.  :-*

OOPS - I thought you were a different Dereck.   I just now remembered his username.   If I had met you when I was in college, I'd probably have been your babysitter.   ;D
Sal

dereckc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
If I had met you when I was in college, I'd probably have been your babysitter.   ;D

I am still flattered.

danointhenw

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
Seems like I remember an episode of "Prospectors" in which one of the regulars was saying something about tapping on the surface stone with a hammer and listening for differences in sound that might indicate a hollow area underneath.  Haven't tried it but sounds reasonable.