Author Topic: Vacation Plans  (Read 62 times)

DSRTEGL

• VIP
    • View Profile
Vacation Plans
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
IF....and I do mean IF....I get my vacation time approved I will be going on a rockhounding/fishing/camping/beachcombing exodus starting in Northern Oregon and working my way South to my more familiar haunts around Crescent City and Trinidad.....Not going to lie....I nee advice as to possible places to look.....I am not talking GPS Coordinates here....Just general locations.....DO NOT POST SPOT IN THIS FEED.....PLEASE DON'T.....This is a once a year thing for me so I am out to have some fun.....I am 100% ok with meet ups....Experienced in River Collecting and HARD ROCK MINING....With notice I can provide my own tools......Wanted to try some agate mining if possible.....Also wanted to try some river/creek/stream collecting......Suggestion in personal messages only please.....Dates as the stand are from Sept22-Oct7 with the october days being in California......Also looking to do some Coastal Fishing and Clamming if the time is right while in Oregon.....I build my own clam guns

Would really appreciate some input.....Trips like this are pretty rare for me

DEREK

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation Plans
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
I can't offer anything useful for you, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and I sure hope you get your vacation time!

:)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Sorry I can't meet up with you this time, Derek.  I had fun the last time we hunted together.  As far as coastal areas.........I got nothin'.  Hope you find someone to meet up with, though.

Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

DSRTEGL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Already plotting beach areas and river/stream access areas on Google Earth.

Trying to plan my trip

OregonBorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
Best place to clam for razors was Seaside beach in Oregon (not to be confused with Seaside, California) when I was a kid living in Cannon Beach. I also salmon fished out of Monterey Bay and my brother and I used to catch Dunginess crabs on the Monterey wharf when we were kids. No longer there... we also used to pry abalone off the rocks there when we were kids, also no longer. I also commercial salmon fished out of Winchester Bay just south of Reedsport one year when I was in high school. Good crabbing there as well for Dungies. You can look at the Oregon fish and wildlife updates here:

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/salmon/Regulations/regindex.asp

You can also get the latest Oregon fishing, clamming and crabbing report here:

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report

As for rock hounding the coastal rivers, I do not have anything on that. Generally the beach agate hunting season is in winter when the larger winter storm generated waves remove the sand from the beaches exposing the rocks. Of course that is also when the weather there sucks.

danointhenw

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
My wife and I did the whole OR coast in June/July.  We brought home lots of goodies and found that just about anywhere we stopped along the numerous rivers had stuff that ended up in the back of the pickup.  Check the bars (gravel&rock, not the other type) and you're sure to find some nice jaspers and small pieces of petrified wood.  We also scored some fossils (shellfish) at the mouths of a couple of rivers and even a few nice ones further up stream.  Might do the same thing again next year.  If you'd like some specific rivers, shoot me a PM.

DSRTEGL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
Checked the tides and NOT ONE SINGLE CLAMMIN TIDE my whole trip........DAMMIT..........More time for fishing and rock hunting I guess