Author Topic: Kentucky  (Read 52 times)

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
Kentucky
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »
I went out over Labor Day weekend to do a bit of rockhunting.  It's been a while since I did any rock-related overnight trips, and it was a blast!

My family of 4 went, met up with a group of other rockhounds, and had access to a creek full of geodes.  You, too, can find your own right here:

We collected a few:

And we also had access to a private fluorite mine, which I was super excited about, because I love fluorite.  I didn't take any photos of the mine location, but imagine a rural spot along an isolated narrow road, walk up in the trees to find a large overgrown pile of rocks, and that's the site.  :)

Not only fluorite but some cool calcite crystals:

It was fun!

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
Nice haul - great scenery.  Looks like you had a great trip!  I need one of those. 
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
those are AWESOME looking Calcite crystals.  What are the size of those?   I've found a couple decent semi-clear calcite rhombohedrons in my travels over the years, and a few mostly opaque crystals of various other habits, but I've never found any of those nice honey-colored pyramids like that (other than at rock/gem shops, street fairs, and the like.)

My own trip for fluorite earlier this year was rather disappointing; the site I went to (about 3 hours northwest of Challis, Idaho, followed by a two mile uphill slog) had mostly massive light purple material with no crystals, and what few crystals there were, were mostly small and colorless.  Plus the area was full of these nasty little crab lice bugs that would get on you.  eeeew!! Makes my skin crawl just remembering that part of it.

lizziebird

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
I saw several larger dogtooth calcite crystals found by others, so although I wouldn't say they were "common," they seemed to be a pretty reliable find there.  The largest I saw was a nice cluster of 3 crystals, maybe 4 inches from top to bottom (someone else found that one).  I found about 4 individual dogtooth calcite crystals, all a honey yellowish color, and about 3 inches from top to bottom.  I really like 'em!  Haven't ever found single calcite crystals like that either.

Here's my nicest fluorite from the day:

I wandered around in the woods a bit, walking through all sorts of tall grass and woods.  Lots of spider webs, only saw 1 tick for the day, and thank goodness didn't get more than a couple of chigger bites.  Even the mosquitoes weren't bad, which was surprising given how late in the summer it is and they're really bad in my back yard!