Author Topic: Re: Theme?hornitos poppy jasper...  (Read 10523 times)

robin trumbull

• View Profile
Re: Theme?hornitos poppy jasper...
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
hi...i am hosting visits to the hornitos poppy jasper mine, along with gary grinder, as owners, open to all rockhounds...usually trips are arranged with the mariposa rock and gem club. the are a one hundred and one different types of jasper found here, usually easy to find in small chunks in the extensive mine dumps, some of the best was found on the rim of the old pit...there are 20 acres on this blm mining claim..every one finds something !...this is the most unusual rock hunting site i have ever been on...it is at 2000 feet, pleasant, rarely rains here, best to dig a little , screen out the dirt , collect the jasper...everything can be cut, sometimes fractures present, but usually healed, the road her is for 4 wheel drive, or all wheel, or two wheel if dry...call me if you want to go up. dr robin trumbull 209-722-5308.it is 40 miles north east of merced, 1 mile south of the northern part of lake mc clure, (merced river)..this mine operated in 1960, check the web under hornitos poppy jasper, especially google images...for fine examples of the poppy jasper...various names include mariposa poppy jasper(actuall is in mariposa county, ca), or hornitas(mis spelled), sometimes hunters vally jasper( actually is in hunters valley, not hornitos).ask coldwater gold ...!

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
Hi Robin, glad you could chime in here....Coldwatergold

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
Here is a picture of what the country looks like except that the claim is mostly covered in brush. A good fire here would really improve access. There are a few areas that do allow accesss but wandering off to dig can be a challange..Coldwatergold

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
Well you know what they say dig under the brush, shoot there is all kinds of open areas to dig there, but anyone out there needs to remember to fill em back in. Looks like you could dig the whole mtn.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
Alas .I am looking away from the dig site...see that brush in the distance, that almost completely covers the hill to my back...like I said there are a few places to get thru but could use more,,Coldwatergold

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
Ever tried to dig that side?  Might be some there also tho. 

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »
That brush was a problem at Copperopolis, too.  Wanted to get to a ravine that was promising for crystals, but would have had to had a crew with machetes to cut through the brush to get to it.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
the brush is always where the best is. cuz no one want to go there.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
Somewhere on my computer are some pictures of the site itself and the brush...I'll hunt around and post...Coldwatergold

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:50:05 AM »
OK here is an idea of what you have to deal with maybe a chain saw....Coldwatergold

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »
Well we were all set to take our club down to this site, had about 20 people from our club and 10 from Mariposa club....several of us were not even going to dig as there wasn't enough room but rather we were planning on doing some brush clearing for future exploration, then we got a call from Robin who said his partner wanted to charge 40 bucks per person to dig in the tailings piles...this killed the trip. There isn't eough material to charge 10 bucks a person let alone 40, you add in the 60 plus dollars in gas and it was a no brainer....too bad, the spot does have potential if it were cleared completely of brush and a backhoe was available...Coldwatergold

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Bob -  have ya heard if they are still chargin a arm and a leg to dig the tailings?
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
No change...still 40 bucks last I heard....not worth it...Coldwatergold

robin trumbull

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
hornitos poppy jasper...sept 19,2018..i discovered new vein(took out a 300 # slab) of poppy jasper 200feet above the original mine..this looks just like morgan hill poppy jasper,although it is one hundred miles away.
the new poppy jasper has white rhyolite centers with newly radially crystalized red jasper intruded into purple silicious jasper.
40 x microscopic pictures show a dramatic pattern of radially oriented red crystals tipped by tiny  irridesent  hematite clusters
there are also striated goldish cubes of either  pyrite, calaverite, and occasionally microscopic grains of gold.
last year the mariposa rock club visited and found several hundred pounds of pink poppy patterns with white centers.
finding the jasper is easier now since the detwiler fire burned off all the brush,however , digging down one or two feet is often very rewarding
there is no fee, and the mariposa club, the calaveras club, and lodi clubs have visited and dug here...if interested in digging,contact me robin trumbull, 209-722-5308
it is about one hour drive from merced, or 6 miles from mariposa...good hunting,robin

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »
Now that sounds like a good fun trip!

Tony