Author Topic: 2019 Meetup -  (Read 663 times)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Meetup -
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
If you folks are waiting on me to do all the planning.........please know that I'm going to need help with that this time around. 

If everyone can just get around to posting the dates that would be best for them it would help immensely.

Tony -- They've stopped maintaining roads at Peterson and they were pretty bad that last time I was there (about a year+ something ago).  Not sure what access is like now.  If I can still get up and out this spring, I plan on taking a drive up that way to see what the situation is, but I don't think it's a safe bet for a meet location.  There are, of course the other hunting areas not too far from there - the other crystal peak over by Verdi and the rose quartz peak not too far from Peterson. That's all I'm familiar with out that way - Davis creek, but I think that's quite a ways, can't remember now.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
Last time I drove up there- it was the summer of 2016, you could get about 2/3rds of the way up in a high clearance 4wd but there was one spot that stretched my Subaru Forester to the outer limits of its ability to climb out of deep ruts without high-centering.  I'm not sure about now; that was two years ago.  If we do this spot, then I would think it might be possible for people to drive as far up as their vehicles would allow, then maybe carpool in whoever has the sturdiest, high clearance vehicle the rest of the way.  The hunt was pretty good when I was there- it is the best crystal dig spot I've ever been to, even sticking to the areas below the "no-dig zone" which was clearly posted near the very top of the peak.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 04:23:07 AM »
So how much of a hike does that leave if you get 2/3 of the way up?

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 07:54:12 AM »
From where I parked, I would guess it was around 700 vertical feet, give or take, and maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 mile walking distance, to the edge of the posted "No-Dig Zone."  But I was doing a lot of clambering along the side of the mountain, though.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Oh thats not very far.

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
I am not familiar with the Challis/Peterson Mountain areas so I can't help much in the way of planning there. But if we ironed out a date I can definitely come that way.

--If-- people wanted to have a meetup in Central or Eastern OR I could help plan or plan something. I have a firm grasp of many places in this area and get out a ton so I could scout a spot before the trip as well, if needed.

Personally I would opt for timing the meetup in Early June before its completely roasting or for late summer like Late August (fire season though...). I work for myself so I have lots of flexibility but I think these are great times for a meetup whether it be in central ID as has been suggested or in Oregon.

RockNRockNRoll

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »
I am going to be in Lake Tahoe from June 13th through the 18th.  Short notice I know, but if anyone wants to meet at Mt Peterson or anywhere else within a 2-3 hour drive I am in.  I have a 4WD vehicle with high clearance, if that helps entice you!

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
I gotta bad feeling that June or no, Peterson Mountain may still be snowed in by the time June 18 rolls around. :(
Snow was STILL piling up there as of last week, and the whole Sierras were already buried under like 5-10 feet because they had such a long, harsh winter up there.  And the sad thing is, winter may not even be over yet in the Sierras.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2019, 04:07:06 AM »
Headed to Peterson for a dig June 15-16 (paid dig at the top) will keep you guys posted...Coldwatergold

Trapper John

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
This thread seems to have died. HeySal, are you still looking for input and help, or have you moved on from this?
"In this part of Oregon you make your living by working the woods, collecting disability, or growing pot.  I do not work in the woods and I'm not disabled."

- Statement made to me by a fellow I met while bushwacking  on Oregon back roads.