Author Topic: Any other Harney County Rockhounds?  (Read 87 times)

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
Any other Harney County Rockhounds?
« on: February 18, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
I have been collecting out here in Harney Co. every single weekend... any other hounds in Harney County? Or does anyone come out here often that wants to dig? I have been hounding the area for years, but now moved to Burns and there is a lot of opportunity out here but it seems like no hardcore hounds except the old timers that seem to have disappeared. I read as much history and geology of the area as I can to research the area but I just cant find any local good ol boys or hardcore hounds.

Or maybe I'm alone out here, that's fine too ;) That's why I like it out here.

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
Re: Any other Harney County Rockhounds?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
I have tried to get ahold of the Highland Rock shop here several times and it seems fruitless...

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
The Highland Rock Shop was the one right on the main drag there in Burns, if I remember right.  They used to have rockhound maps available there, but I don't know if they still do, or if that place is even still open or not.  It was still open the last time I swung through there in 2017 for what its worth.

As for hunting in Harney County, I've done so several times. There was even a RHS1 meet up out that way a couple summers ago.  Glass Buttes is an obligatory stop (that pretty much everyone knows about already) and I've also found some good volcanic glass just north of Burns right outside of town.  As for other places beyond that, it's a wide open high desert out there and I'm sure there is plenty of good stuff waiting to be discovered.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:24:30 PM »
I love Harney county = but have no way of knowing when I'll be able to make it back there.  I definitely will post here ahead of any trip so anyone else interested can meet up with me out there.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Markphoto3

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
  • Cooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 02:05:36 PM »
I live in Union county and I do a lot of my rock hounding in North Malheur county and Harney county. Matter of fact my favorite petrified wood site is right on the border of the two counties.  Feel free to hit me up this coming summer if you would like to meet up.  Markphoto3

crazymama30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
I am in Deschutes county, but would drive to harney to look for rocks.