Author Topic: Whats everyone been doing lately?  (Read 120 times)

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
Whats everyone been doing lately?
« on: April 22, 2019, 12:56:23 PM »
Anyone have any big rock hunting trips planned?

I'm going to hit up my usual haunts soon, now that it's finally getting nice, and I have a couple of future potential sites to explore once the snow melts off the higher elevations.  I REALLY want to get back to the Challis area soon.

Its been almost a month since anyone posted anything so I've been wondering whats going on.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats everyone been doing lately?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
headed out for a one dayer on Wednesday to the Dead Camel Mountains, mult. Jaspers in area and lots of area to explore...poss. pictures to follow...Coldwtergold

ChatlieB

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 11:01:59 AM »
We are going to Plush for Sunstone and to Glass Buttes for obsidian. Probably not for another 3 weeks, though.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
84 degrees out in Nevada today, successful trip, only made two carries as it was the first time out and there was no use hurting ourselves, Probably got 50-60 lbs of cutting material but I must clean a saw before the cutting can resume.....I'm afraid we jumped from the middle of winter into the middle of summer...hoping for a cool down already....Coldwatergold

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Been doing lots of hounding in eastern Oregon, petrified wood, sunstones, and quartz crystals. Hope everyone is getting ready for a safe and productive season!

Mark K

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
In Sept, there was a major incident at the prison I work at. I was injured and still have not gotten the treatment I needed. I am now unable to go hounding because of the pain.  After I finally get the surgery I need, I will be back in the running.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
wow, I hope you get well soon, that sucks- and being a prison guard is a really thankless job as it is!

I was not aware of any quartz crystal hunting spots in eastern Oregon- I'm intrigued.  I've been wanting to get back out to the Sunstone area though.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
Yes Challis on the list for more exploration this year.
Utah/Nevada sometime next month also, not sure where or when but soon.

Tony

thegypsy

• 2017 Meet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
We have been out every weekend. Got out to Plush again, more of the secret local wood spots, lots of the more populated hounding spots before they get hit hard this season ;) Oh and Rome a few times. Found interesting stuff out there all over the place, not just snakeskin agates...

Also RE: quartz chrystals in Eastern Oregon --- they can be found in lots of places out here, you just have to be a fiend to find them! But quartz chrystals can be found anywhere there's petrified wood, for one, and also if you use some logic and some serious map browsing you can find all kinds of things and places that aren't in the books out here.

Oxenkiller

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 07:48:58 AM »
I went out to the Graveyard Point area on the Oregon Idaho border yesterday... to mountain bike, not really to collect.  The trails out there sure are fun to do on a bike, that's for sure- and the scenery is awesome, especially this time of year.  I did pass by one of the well known agate mines out there, but I didn't stop, and at one point I came across a large chunk of translucent chalcedony/plain agate lying on the old jeep trail, but I didn't take it. I'm pretty picky about what I bring home any more.  So...In other words, I wasn't really looking very hard- just felt like getting a ride in.  NEXT weekend will be a collecting trip, I promise.

On the other hand, Tony Schultz's rock shop in Marsing is now open on weekends, so that is always worth a stop.  Its only open on weekends though.

MrKen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
Just spent some time in the Succor Creek area, before the heat kicks in. Rained the day before we got there, and thankfully nothing when we were there, Found some nice agates, pet wood, Jaspers, and of course Thunder Eggs. Had a great time. Not too many people there yet either.

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Just spent a week wandering around, Hit the trilobite beds and the bubble opal claim in Utah, dug Variscite in Nevada, picked up an estate in Oregon and got home yesterday.

I am going to do some more wandering next week.

Tony