Author Topic: arrowheads and such  (Read 17526 times)

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
arrowheads and such
« on: November 30, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
I can't believe nobody is talking about their arrowhead finds.  I never have been hunting for them, but there are places where if you are looking for rocks, you're going to find arrowheads, too.  I just put this pic in the photo gallery of a few I've run across in the field.  I really like the little bird point.

These all came from the Pryor Mt. range at the MT/WY Border.  I was actually rock hunting when I found them.  Some areas out there are still littered with them.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:03:04 AM by HeySal »
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

Alan Lee

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: arrowheads and such
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
Those are cool!   8)  Here's what I have.  All from Washington.

~Al~

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
Al, is one of those the one you found near a rest area parking lot or such?  I remember you talking
about flashing it at someone and giving a big "told you so" after they had given you a good ribbing
for wanting to rock hunt.  Looks like you've been busy since then, too.
Sal

Alan Lee

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Wow you remembered.  Yes it's the obsidian one.  Found it in a wide spot in the road between Dayton and Pomeroy, WA.  The small one is from Potholes Reservoir by Moses Lake, WA and the white one is from the mouth of Alpowa Creek just outside Clarkston Wa.  The last two were found while I was fishing and the fish weren't cooperating.

~Al~

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »
Gee Al,  It's hard to forget someone's excitement over their first find.   It was pretty awesome for me that your first thought was to come in and tell your pals at RHS1 all about it.  Makes all the tribulations of running a website very worthwhile.  You don't know how much I missed everyone while the forums were down.
Sal

Alan Lee

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »
Yeah I missed everyone to.  I checked every day to see if the site was up and running yet.  And thanks for all you do!

~Al~

R Hagel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:23:24 AM »
Nice finds!

I've only found one arrowhead -- when I was about four or five years old.  It was dang near perfect, which got me so excited... cause I thought it was a "skinny Christmas tree."  ;D  I'm sure that since then I've passed a few in the fields, simply because I was so focused on agate hunting.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »
There is a spot out in Nevada where we bird hunt sometimes that would be a great place for a group to do some arrowhead hunting..I've found half spear points and several arrowheads just laying around among the sagebrush...it's up near the old ghost tpwn of Midas...they put in a huge mining operation a few miles away a few years back but by now I bet the operation has come and gone....good camping country also with a few mystery lights up in the sky at night to spur conversation...ufos anybody. coldwatergold

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
There's quite a bit of Indian territory just South of me here. Old battlegrounds, pictaglyphs everywhere.  I'd love to be able to read them.  Any time people go down that way rock hunting they always come back with artifacts.  I'm not sure what the rules are in ID for them.  Above permafrost is okay to pick up I think.  This spring I'll be checking out the laws because I'll most likely be down that way a lot and would prefer not to get arrested or fined.
Sal

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:03:36 AM »
There is a lot of territory west of Riddle that holds potential for artifacts, rocks and birds...this is one of the areas that some of my hunting buddies have ventured into and found good chuckar spots plus good camping areas....I really want to do some exploring out there myself...the only problem is finding the time between winter and hot!!! I'd bet you if some time was spent out there a new Brueno Jasper spot could be found.   coldwatergold

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
Oh I'm pretty sure that there are more Bruneau spots for Jasper than are listed on guides.  Ya know the original stuff was waxy and green and tan - but that mine is private property.  The stuff they are calling Bruneau Jasper now is matte and orange and tan.  I'm thinking that if you could actually walk along the river far enough you could find more green.....and a lot of other interesting things as well. 
I haven't been to the Bruneau woodpile yet but I heard the wood there is mostly only so-so.
Sal

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:46 AM »
The river itself doesn't lend itself well to walking along the shore, it cuts too deep thru the rock, there are places where you can walk along for a quarter to half a mile then have to climb the mountainside to make headway...however there is a great hot spring down there...runs off the hillside then into the river at an old bridge and it's great swimming hole...about 20-30 yards long and 2o wide, feels just like a bathtub,,,great place to hang out on a summer day, you can get under the wooden bridge for shade,,,access for west is rather hairy (that's the way we came in, I wouldn't take my truck down but another member of our trip did, all I can say is "wow", not for the faint of heart). There is another road from the east because we could see a truck over there but you can't cross the river on the bridge and I'm not sure there is a river crossing any more,,,,coldwatergold (if pictures were easy to post I could show you the area, maybe in an e-mail if you want to see Sally...)

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
I will be doing some research of those areas soon and will be anticipating spending some time over there to find some new leads.  Also I will be looking for the famous Morisonite deposits as I believe that there is always more out there not in Wilderness (thanks to our nice Govt.)  I betcha I can find some;)  Anyways take care everyone and enjoy - Clayton  P.S. Coldwater I might be heading to Calif and going with my uncle to the Fire agate deposit - Clayton

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
There are a few spots in from the East - but the one that comes off of the main road that runs beside the river from Bruneau is closed off now - that one goes down toward the old Jasper mine.  The one you are talking about comes in from further East.  Then if you go down further toward Grasmere on the west side there is another hot spings area  - that one is hell to pay to get into also.  There are a lot of artifacts laying around out that way.....some possibly from the pioneers.  In the spring when it's wet you're either stupid or brave to go there. After it dries out it gets hotter than hell real fast so there is only a small window of comfort in that area early in the year - best for late summer/early autumn before late year rain.

There are a LOT of places where it's just plain impossible to get into the canyon.  Owyhee canyon is the same way - but that three forks area has the nicest hot springs (non-developed) I've ever seen.   Bagby in OR is the nicest I've seen with any development  -but never got to rockhound that area.  Not sure what's out there in those mountains.  The only times I went I went with people that didn't want to go to hunt - just go down play in the hot water and come back.  Pretty disappointing trip for someone who wants to explore.
Sal

hankpac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »
I have quite a few arrowheads, but the Forest Service prohibits picking up artifact on Federal land, so be careful where you are looking. They can't say much about private land, but the landowner has to give permission for that too, or you are just there for the minerals.
We recently found a nice knife, 6 inches long, not a chip on it. Beautiful.
Hank