Author Topic: arrowheads and such  (Read 17527 times)

hankpac

• View Profile
Re: arrowheads and such
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
the knife.

Hank

rockhuntergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
Oh man are you kidding me, :o that is awesome!!!  and only in MY dreams.. :P  Chances are if you are out hunting rocks/exploring these little tidbits are out there.  Caution... the Federal laws are stiff, so be careful.  Watch the landscape for people with binoc's, as they have nothing else to do!!  Congratulations, you have a beauty!!!   ;D

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
Nice find, Hank.   As far as laws go, I believe there's still a few places where the permafrost laws still hold.  Hard to tell though with the land grab that's going on now.  I always had Munch out with me before this year though and nobody bothers you when you have a dog that is bigger than you with ya.  I'll be so glad when I can get a new puppy. 
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
Dang kid picked up two intact arrowheads as we were hunting up one of the canyons, after that I keep an eagle eye out for some for myself and was rewarded with an arrowhead tip at least a quarter inch (or smaller) in length...dang kids.   Coldwatergold

mattbauer123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
I have a spot bout a mile from the house but it is very, well let's just say you really, really don't want to get caught. I have givin my friend all of my finds ( he has a huge collection). Next time I'm by his place I'll get some pix.

th30utkast3d

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
I found this today and the only thing i can think of is maybe a broken arrowhead. the edges are carved and is sharp in some areas. It looks like it is broke in half and the bottom half is missing. Arrowhead?

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »
Doesn't look like an arrowhead to me. It looks like a broken knife tip.
Sal

th30utkast3d

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
but safe to saythat native americans may havemade it?

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Safe to say someone made it, I would think from the picture. Pics do lie sometimes, though - so take it to your local college, and the Archaeology dept may know something.  Make sure you check  your area laws on artifacts though - might be illegal to have found it...um...on public property anyhow. Make sure they know you found it on private land  ;)
Sal

hankpac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
Been gone awhile, sorry for the late post.
The orange colored chip looks like a scraper. Hold it in your hand with your fingertips holding the flat against the thenar eminence (the base of your thumb) with the edge running along the thmb. sort of like a loosley held fist with the stone held in place in with your fingertips. You should be able to scrape a buffalo hide pretty well like that.
Hank

luke35

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
I found a bird point and lookout point reservoir, about 10 miles east of Eugene, OR last Sunday.  First one I found and I was very excited.

needweight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
the knife.

That's a ceremonial piece. It's a work of art and genuine but there's no way it was used for daily work. I can't imagine you finding it lying around the ground. Pieces that fine usually wound up being pawned.