Author Topic: What is a good metal detector for a new buyer?  (Read 11772 times)

Joe

• View Profile
What is a good metal detector for a new buyer?
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »
I had one when I was a kid years ago. It was a Relco I think.

How much should I spend to get a decent one?

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Joe

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
Re: What is a good metal detector for a new buyer?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:34:46 AM »
Joe-hang in there, there are a couple of members that will get back to you on this one. Oh ya, Welcome.
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
Hey I think it depends on what you want to find.  I own a whites spectrum xlt and love it to death very very accurate.  They have been making them since ww2.  This detector has no flaws when you learn the settings.  If you seek metals ex: gold, silver then the DFX by whites is similar to the xlt but you can switch the heads out.  You can get them off of craigslist for 400 which is a good deal.  You if buying new will have to spend at least that or more to get a good one.  Garrett and fisher are good for gold and silver, but my friends who own em like my whites better.  The settings on the XLT and DFX are easy to adjust and you can make it to do  tone iding which makes the different coins, etc sound different than the junk, I usually never have dug any junk after I figured out the settings.  Even in high junk areas, I hope this helps you.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
Hi Joe, I also have a few Whites and love'em...for years I recommended the xlt for beginners...don't buy cheap and then outgrow it and have to get another one...stay with the name brands ( The good ones are, in my opinion, Whites, Minelab (pretty pricy and steep learning curve) and Fisher) If you can get an xlt for 400 grab it (mostly I see them in the 500 range) then learn it. In my group of detectors I have 5 whites,  coinmaster,6000, 6000di, xlt,dfx, and V3. I mostly use the V3 now and am still learning it, 2 minelabs,gp4000 and explorer and a fisher gold bug and out of the group I mainly use the V3 but it's kind of expensive, You can find some xlt's in almost new condition, used a few times then put away and forgotten. I still drag mine out when I get fustrated with the others....if I can help with anything give me a shout...coldwatergold

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »
coldwater you are the metal detector king thats a lot of em anyways.  Now you just need more arms:)

Tex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
Yes what everyone else said about Whites metal detectors. I have had a spectrum xlt for a long time probably about 10 years it is the old rainbow colored machine. I would recommend the xlt you can't go wrong in my opinion. I also have a Minelab Excalibur for hunting in the water both machines are excellent. Buy the best machine you can afford so that you get a unit that you will enjoy and not be disappointed.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
When I get to spend on a detector I'll be getting a Fitzgerald's Vector locator. You can get a good one for the same price as a Whites.  They aren't as well known, but they sure are powerful.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Hey Sal...all I can think in response to that is "What?" and "Wow"....really??? Coldwatergold

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
Maybe I should clarify....I know a few people who beleive in that dowsing stuff and I don't discount that they may work on a few things, like finding water and such...but all the rest just scream gimmick to me...I've had my dowsing buddies try to demonstrate for me, it's never panned out...still skeptic....Coldwatergold

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 02:37:46 AM »
I've seen people dowse before.  Not a clue how they do it.  They say that anyone can learn to do it.  I think I'm gonna have to stick to technology for this one.  I might not be able to dowse an agate -- but I can spot one at at least 50 yards when the sun is shining.

BTW Bob - The Vecors are triangulators.  If you have around 25 grand sitting around to play with you can get one kller hunting machine. If I had that much though I'd get one of the H3Tech's tricorders instead.   

Until those days, though - When I actually get any spare cash to play with at all, I will take whatever I find used and on sale - lapidary or detectors.  Won't be fussy at all until I am rich and famous. Trust me on that one. 
Sal

Chloesolo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
Holiday time and weekend is what everyone is looking forward to. Take time to have a break from stressful daily work and enjoy something fun with family members or friends. Metal detecting is the activity that is suitable for any age groups. With great attraction of getting metal detecting finds. No matter you are a newbie or an experienced detecting hobbyist, it is highly accessible and rewarding.

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
Okay - I looked around and see that some people think that Fitzgerald's  vector locators are junk and some really just love them, so I guess it's all in the opinion of the user.

I KNOW H3Techs are good - but they are a hassle, you have to have licensing and buy programming cards specific for the minerals you are looking for (some are packaged, though).   If I had lots of money and time to be out in the field at least semi-professionally,  I'd own a 3HTech.   I guess after reviews, I'd have to look into any model of Fitzgerald's that I'd own real closely before purchasing.

I've got one eardrum that's barely hanging together (shoved a bobby pin through it when I was a toddler) and don't hear tones real well or decipher between them sometimes, so I need something that will do that for me and give me some sort of reading that is non-aural.
Sal

Mistersparkle

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
Joe,There are several makes and models that come to mind that would work for a beginner.   I currently run a Fisher 1236X2 and like it a lot.  It is an all audio machine and is easy to learn.  Bought mine used for $150.  They don't make  them anymore though.  I have had a couple of Tesoros, which are also audio only.  A friend uses a Tesoro Cibolla and it is very good.  I think the are around $400 new.  The Tesoros are very light and run on a 9V battery.  Easy to swing all day.  I have borrowed and used a Garret Ace 250, just to try it out.  I wasn't taken with it.  It did not seem selective enough when compared to my Fisher, but others seem to like them.  They run around $200 new.  I once owned a Garrett GT350, which died prematurely and had to be returned for repair.  I did not like that machine.  Battery pack was heavier and it was not effective for me.  I followed it with a Tesoro Bandido II that was excellent, but had a manual ground balance.  That made for a more capable machine that could handle changing soil conditions, but was sometime tedious, because you had to stop and re-adjust it a fair amount.  It was very sensitive though.  I briefly owned a White's Prizm II which was easy to learn and very good.  A friend talked me out of it.  Wish I still had it.  As such, I have been looking at the current White's Coinmaster.  It has been getting some really good reviews and sells for about $180.  I may get one soon just for fun.  For a while I owned a Troy X2, which was a simple and very capable machine.  Maybe the most useable I have owned.  I have been reading up on the Teknetics machines and may try one of those to see how they are.  They get decent reviews and have a lot of visual aids.  Depth display might be handy.  What I have found, fiddling around with all these machines over the years though, is that I prefer audio machines, with no display.  You get good pretty fast at learning the different tones, the sound quality or sharpness/softness of how different materials and items sound.  I really do like my Fisher 1236X.  I miss the Troy Shadow X2 and I really enjoy my friend's Tesoro Cibolla.  All three are excellent, fast to learn, sensitive and discriminating machines that can hang in there with more expensive units.  See this site for a lot of reviews:
http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

Good luck and happy hunting.
Don

djbaylee@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »
Hello, I use a Garrett 350 and recently purchased a Garrett AT Gold, the 350 goes for about $300 these days and is a great out of the Box detector for someone just starting out. Hope this helps. :)