Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (All Pages Header)

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: nevada fossil site  (Read 4287 times)
coldwatergold
BlackRockDesertMeetup
VIP ELITE

gold claim-Downeyville, ca.

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »

Again it is handy to have a Nevada Atlas and Gazetteer, go North of Lovelock about 10 miles or so, see Oreana exit. Exit towards the Humbolt range (east) follow dark red road until it turns sharply South, go south about three miles and look west..you can see the Pacific Matchless Mine listed on map , look south see the Pinite Mine and in between see Fossil Hill. The digging area covers a fairly good sized area, dark blackish shale and in it you can find ammonites and a few other fossils, packed together quite thickly. You can pick up a few that have fallen out of the host material, but most have to be broken out...coldwatergold
HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »

What kinds of "other types of fossils"?  Anything like trilobites?

coldwatergold
BlackRockDesertMeetup
VIP ELITE

gold claim-Downeyville, ca.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

No, we found some plants and a fossilized clam..but I do know of two different spots (free) and one pay spot for Trilobites. One is down in the lower part of Nevada by Pioche. This spot my brother in law showed me, he worked for BLM in the permitting dept. Somebody wanted to develop a shale mine and he had to check it out..When he saw all the Trilobites this guy was digging up he turned down his permit to mine it for the shale. The other spot is on the way to Delta,Utah along side the road. If you ever get the chance you should plan a week at Delta....boy is there a lot of stuff in a 20 mile area... do you want me to send you a picture of what the ammonites look like? I think I have a few pieces left, the rest I have given away....coldwatergold

hankpac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 02:12:45 AM »

I would like to see some images of the ammonites.
I have a couple that are at least 18 inches across. Most of them are in the 6-8 inch range, but the big ones are around 50 lbs.
Anything like that in Oregon?

Hank
Pages: [1]
Print

Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (Forum Section Pages Footer)

Jump to: