Author Topic: all artifacts are not indian  (Read 7056 times)

needweight

• View Profile
all artifacts are not indian
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
 I think all of us who roam wilderness areas are romantics so I hope I won't bore you with my story of a unique find

I know these are just fragments but I have tentatively I.D.'d them as belonging to an 1851 Navy Colt revolver.

You see some 4 pieces of lead from a bullet , some metal parts including the trigger  and a large, brass part (in 2 parts) That piece fits between the trigger guard and the revolving cartridge chamber.

(Here's where the romance kicks in.) That brass piece was apparently shot through with a bullet! Someone shot this pistol out someone else's hand !!! See the following closeups'

Notice how the brass is blown outward and you can still see traces of lead  where the bullet passed
through.

Now you might ask why would someone be shooting at another out there? What else but an attempted train robbery. Well it was found 50 feet from the abandoned railroad bed of the old Tonopah and Tidewater R.R. That train followed the old 20-muleteam trail and replaced the wagons hauling borax, gold, and silver out of mining areas in and around Death Valley to Ludlow, Calif. Now there happens to be a spring there andseveral Tamarisk  trees that  would provide cover and, coincidentally, the train slows just before to make a wide sweeping curve up a slight grade. What a perfect spot.

Whhadya think,folks?     

catmandewe

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP Elder
    • View Profile
    • Idaho Rock Shop
Re: all artifacts are not indian
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:55 AM »
Thats cool!

waltny

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »
Excellent find and write up.

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:24 AM »
That's a really cool find. I see a number on the one piece. You should see if you can find that serial # somewhere and it will tell you what year it was made. I think if it has a number it might not be that old. It's worth checkin out. It's still a good find. :o
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

CCanfield

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
Nice find cool pict

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
Love the logic in your hunt.  Sharp.  Very sharp. 

If ya love artifacts of the sort - it's always a good idea when out with your metal detector to find where the old brothels and bars were - and find where the outhouses for the establishment was.   Good places to find all SORTS of items that a drunk man would lose out of his pockets.
Sal

Life's Short.  Rock Hard.

needweight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
That's a really cool find. I see a number on the one piece. You should see if you can find that serial # somewhere and it will tell you what year it was made. I think if it has a number it might not be that old. It's worth checkin out. It's still a good find. :o

Boxofrocks. Here are the numbers and the makers mark. How do I track them down?

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »
Seems like someone at a gun shop might be able to help you with that - if not, if there's a college around with a history or archaeology dept, they might be able to tell you -- museum curators, too.

What I am wondering is if you found the pieces then looked up some history or if you went to the area because of some history that you knew or had researched.
Sal

boxofrocks

• MemCenOR
  • VIP ELITE
  • My German rockhound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:01:22 AM »
Most gun shops have the books that will tell ya all about that gun. It has a pretty big number, so I would guess that it's not that old. But, I have been wrong before. No matter what, It's still a cool find.
Dean
"Integrity - doing the right thing even when there is no one looking."
He who dies with more rocks than Tony wins......:)

needweight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »
[
 What I am wondering is if you found the pieces then looked up some history or if you went to the area because of some history that you knew or had researched.
[/quote]

HeySal, I wish I could tell you that I was that smart but the fact is he story of the train   robbery is pure fiction, a tall tale, filling in the blanks so to speak. The find is real and where I found it is correct .

That area is so full of history, indian artifacts. indian sites,  petroglyphs, old mines, minerals of all shapes an types, and no people,  that when my wife discovered it we rarely went anywhere else on our 4WD expeditions

Mistersparkle

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
I'm a little bit of a black powder shooter/collector.  The PN and the star symbol is the Italian marking indicating it was proofed for black powder at Gardone.  PN= Pulvero Nero.  The serial number (XX8), indicates a manufacture date of 1972.  Unfortunately it is a well weathered Italian reproduction.   Sorry to burst the bubble.  Still pretty cool though.  Wonder why someone shot it?

coldwatergold

• BlackRockDesertMeetup
  • VIP ELITE
  • gold claim-Downeyville, ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
Drat...that was a good story....Coldwatergold

utdigger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
I would still keep the story (and the parts!)  jeff

Mistersparkle

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »
I feel like I killed this thread.  Ignore all that I posted.  Pretend I made it up.  Anyone have an outlaw/lost hoard/ treasure story to revive this thread.  Help me out here people!

HeySal

• Rockin'
  • Administrator
  • VIP ELITE
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
Yikes - about the only thing I know about artifact hunting is that there are a lot of civil war artifacts back East.  There are supposed to be a lot of pilgrim artifacts down between Bruneau and Riddle in Idaho - but I've never really gotten down far enough to hunt for them.  They are off some hot springs area almost smack between the two villages.  Now, if you get to go there (or someone else does), I'd be interested in seeing what ya find.
Sal