Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (All Pages Header)

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any tips for a beginner gold/silver/metal hunter in Vermont?  (Read 2852 times)
JaredAlberghini

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »

Just been reading up on the "Gold Pans?" thread, very informative for a new fish like me.  Wink

I remember panning for gold as a kid in the stream behind my house, and I recall getting so excited finding 'shiny' rocks, like mica, quartz, common stuff, but very cool to me at the time.

I was just reading a nice story about Gold Panning in Vermont, ( http://gometaldetecting.com/gold-in-vermont.htm ) and this quote caught my eye...

The current landowner and president of the Goldminers of New England explained to us that this mine was abandoned when they discovered gold in California, but there was still gold to be found right here under our feet.

Going to get out there this spring and do some hunting, but wanted to get some tips/pointers/etc. from the experts.  Smiley

So what do you folks suggest for a beginner?

Jared

Telekinetic Marketing Social Network For Internet Entrepreneurs
CCanfield
MemCenOR
VIP ELITE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »

Hello, there is lots of gold still being found yur way, most of it it from the north and was brought down by glaciation. or glaciers long ago.  I recommend contacting the GPAA head for your state and asking them about good areas near by where you can go to.  I check the creeks in the bedrock as they always erode thru the old glacial till and produce placer flakes for you to find:) - Clayton
HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »

Jared - just put up an article in the Gazette about Vermont gold. Not detailed but it will give you some ideas.

Not sure how far you are from the White Mt's - NH?  Check some USGS maps on that area, too.
As far as gold - you aren't sitting too bad.  Not like out West, but you're in a state that has actual gold and not only glacial droppings.  Once you get South - NC, you get more and Georgia is a Mecca.  Their capitol dome is all from Georgia gold. 

Now - as far as Silver, all I can tell you about Vermont is don't bother. 

JaredAlberghini

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

Hello, there is lots of gold still being found yur way, most of it it from the north and was brought down by glaciation. or glaciers long ago.  I recommend contacting the GPAA head for your state and asking them about good areas near by where you can go to.  I check the creeks in the bedrock as they always erode thru the old glacial till and produce placer flakes for you to find:) - Clayton

Thanks a bunch Clayton, will definitely contact the GPAA head for VT.  Great idea. Smiley

JaredAlberghini

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

Jared - just put up an article in the Gazette about Vermont gold. Not detailed but it will give you some ideas.

Not sure how far you are from the White Mt's - NH?  Check some USGS maps on that area, too.
As far as gold - you aren't sitting too bad.  Not like out West, but you're in a state that has actual gold and not only glacial droppings.  Once you get South - NC, you get more and Georgia is a Mecca.  Their capitol dome is all from Georgia gold. 

Now - as far as Silver, all I can tell you about Vermont is don't bother. 

Awesome Sal, reading the article in the Gazzette now... just read this part and got more excited, since I'm in Orleans county!

"All in all, ten counties are in Vermont are known to produce  gold.   These counties are: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham, Windsor."

I'm only about 90 miles from the White Mountains, will be exploring there also... once I figure out what the heck I'm doing! lol

So no silver here in VT eh? 

Thanks again for the great info!

Jared

JaredAlberghini

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

"In the Northern areas of the state The Missiquoi River is known to be a producer"

LOL... I can see the Missisquoi river from my back porch!!! Hell yea!!!

HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

What kind of equipment do you have, Jared?  Got any old mining maps or any USGS mineral maps of the area yet?

JaredAlberghini

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »

Nothing but some nice hiking boots and a walking stick...  Tongue

Do you have any favorite websites or any other resources that would have old mining maps I could search through?

HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

Your best bet is a USGS mineral map for your county, Jared (and just add other counties as you decide to go to them). Those will mark off old mines, too.  You will want to start by prospecting tributaries that run downhill and down stream from the mines first.  When they blasted the mines some of the gold got blasted out but not recovered, so there's probably concentrations sitting down from the mines just waiting for recovery.  The stuff sinks pretty fast so don't get the idea of just walking in and scooping a bit of dirt from the surface of the stream beds.

Now is a great time to put up gold traps, though - if you can get through the snow if it's there right  now.  If you can't you want to get them set up before spring run-off if you can.  Also make sure you put them where nobody is likely to come by and hock them on you.   If you can trap the gold as it is pushed downstream in spring thaws, it makes life a lot easier.  Of course, for the nuggets you want to go deep, but finding where the gold is settling takes a lot of work out of guessing where to dig in, too.  If you put one trap up and it's not getting anything, but the one upstream is, you know that the gold is dropping somewhere before it gets to the empty trap.  If you get a good settle from the other trap, it might be a good place to start digging deeper.   

You probably read already to start looking in areas where current slows from being swift enough to carry the gold with it.  Bends, rock barriers, at the bottom of little water falls, etc.   Ya might want to drop a line to Steve Cantiello (glowing rocks).  I think he's panned before if I remember right.  If not, I'm betting he knows prospectors in your neck of the woods that might be willing to go with you some time and show you some of the ropes.  Steve's in NY and hunts regions like yours.  We never got up that way together, but had I known you then, we'd have been up to see you for sure. 

CCanfield
MemCenOR
VIP ELITE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »

Good tips Sal, here is another all time good one:  Check your biggest University as they usually have old special collections which you can go through they have reports written by the early geologists which will tell all.  Most universities will let you copy the material, and all the mining districts will have geologist reports of some kind so this should help you very much, as it has helped for Oregon very very much:)  Good luck
HeySal
Rockin'
Administrator
VIP ELITE

WebMistress SW Idaho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »

New article in the Gazette for ya to consider, Jared - get your gold traps set. 

Pages: [1]
Print

Rockhound Station 1 Ad - Please Click to Support Your FREE Site (Forum Section Pages Footer)

Jump to: